RSS

Idioms of Expressing Mistakes

1. swallow one's words
 admit that you were wrong
I swallowed my words when he was admitted to the military force

2. bark up the wrong tree
doing the wrong thing
The police are barking up the wrong tree if they think Kartika stole the car - she can't drive

3. see the error of your ways
 understand that what they are doing is wrong and accept to change their behaviour
 He talked to a counselor who tried to make him see the error of his ways

4. wide of the mark
incorrect or inadequate; it is not what was expected
The points I've gotten was wide of the mark. I thought that I will get 80 points mark in this test, but I got only 63
 
5. eat one's words
admit that your were mistaken in what you said
After predicting disastrous results, she had to eat his words when she saw the success of the new product


6. overshoot the mark
make a mistake as a result of misjudging something
I overshoot the mark about 30 points

7. swallow one's pride
accept something humiliating or embarrassing
When my sister failed the exam, she had to swallow her pride and repeat the course

8. back the wrong horse
support the wrong person
When I voted for him I was convinced he would win, but I backed the wrong horse!

9. eat crow
admit that you were wrong about something and apologize
He had no option but to eat crow and admit that his analysis was wrong

10. botch up
spoil something; make mess of something; doing a job badly

I tried to assemble the new desk, but I botch it up

By : Yunita Indriana

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment